Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Color me Basic

So when I was looking through the list of plays we were allowed to review, I had no clue of any of the ones listed, with the exception of the great tragedy, Hamlet. This was also the first play I ever performed in the 7th grade so it punches with impact. So, away we went.


I started by watching this one, which was a modern high school performance that took a modern adaptation. I thought it stood out because of, not just the shaky camera or poor acting, but the amount of heart these kids put into Hamlet. It was endearing to watch Ophelia deliver her lines with such conviction and their fun choice of costume which was different than a classic adaptation.


The second one I watched was a more classic adaption from college students a Texas State University. Keeping a running theme by watching the first part of the play, I liked the intro to this one as well as the black had everyone looking unified and interesting to look at. The beginning monologue where Bernardo and Francisco are talking about seeing the king's ghost around, I thought was really well done in this adaptation. 



And lastly, I watched the beginning of this one which held a professional adaptation of the show. They were superior, they were always in character and I thought their modern choice of dress brought another level to the show. Francisco and Bernardo made this adaptation more interesting and set the scene beautifully and they brilliantly introduce the deceased king of Denmark. 

2 comments:

  1. Allie!
    Fantastic clips! I loved the modern adaptations and how you put them in a progression from high school to professional, showing the different levels of acting as well as overall production

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the 15 minute versions were really interesting, it definitely displayed and more passionate reenactment and they really liked the dramatic gestures to guide their movements. It's cool that you were able to empathize with their passion as you also performed the play as well.

    ReplyDelete

Putting Chaos in His Place