Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Hamlet My Captain

I decided to use the second variation of Hamlet that I analyzed (the one with the ship theme, hence my title) and look at it in a different light. I watched it again without sound and looked at the character movement. It's a pretty big set so the actors are able to move around a lot. A lot of tension is is brought about when Ophelia moves towards a person as the queen backs away from her, Claudius seems almost angry and tries to move to call for help offstage. Hamlet shows concern for her and leans towards but never makes contact, this makes it appear that Ophelia and her mental state are now unreachable at this point. Many other versions have Ophelia as the only one moving to keep the attention on her, but the actors movements in this version are telling of the emotion and tension of each of the characters and the scene as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Putting Chaos in His Place