Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Show and Tell feat.Terrible Doodles!

I have decided to continue the analysis of Elizabeth Alexander's "Ars Poetica #100: I Believe" and now I get to tell you want I want to talk about specifically.

My working thesis is: Despite the perception that Elizabeth Alexander's poem is rambling and almost ranting, she actually is able to argue her point that poetry is important in an assertive and clever way by using structure, imagery, and metaphor.

















  • Starting off with the acknowledgement of authorial intent and the fact that this poem is of the genre that are poems about poetry (this explanation may or may not stay in the intro). She is addressing her audience that appears to be her students as she is explaining what she would tell them about poetry, she is trying to be persuasive and that is seen in the emphasis in certain areas of the poem. The pacing is quick with the couplets and is meant to keep attention, but important points are emphasized rather than skimmed or rambled through.















  • Tension is built in the poem along with the pace and this is why this poem may be seen as rant, but Alexander acknowledges the tension building showing self-awareness that strengthens her control in the poem. As she is using poetic devices she slowly escalates showing even more control and balances her passion with her argument.















  • Lastly she supports her argument through the use of imagery and metaphors as a way of introducing ideas into the reader/listener's mind. The images work to potentially inspire or enlighten and work as Alexander's evidence. Like a teacher engaging her students she tries to make this lessen applicable them so that they care and she ends in a classic teacher-like way, with a question.

4 comments:

  1. I like the comparison between a student and her teachers, I think the whole thing looks really good so far. It is very analysis heavy, so I think you have that base covered, I would think about explaining what these effects did to you personally as a reader, and why you think the things you're pointing out in analysis worked so well while you were reading it. Great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your voice in your writing. It felt humorous. You do a good job of acknowledging the counter-argument (that she rambles and is messy) and then you talk about how that actually adds to the poem. I also enjoyed the teacher/student comparison. I think that perfectly wrapped up your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your analysis is very strong, and the points of your thesis are strong, but somehow your actual thesis statement feels kind of weak. I think it's just the way that it's written. I don't think you need to include your evidence in your thesis (i.e. "structure, imagery, and metaphor). I would suggest taking this out and using the space to further define your argument instead of saying that poetry is just "important."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this will be a really interesting paper! But I would make your claim more argumentative, you're mostly just telling people about what she does- but why does she do it? What do you agree with?

    ReplyDelete

Putting Chaos in His Place